This last August, we tried in vitro again. We had four remaining embryos to use after trying for Lizzy. These embryos were our responsibility and we didn't feel right about turning them over to science or donating them to someone else. After all of the hormones, appointments and money, we finally went through with the procedure. Three embryos were implanted (one did not survive the thawing process) but I did not become pregnant. My body thought it was pregnant because of the drugs and so I had to go through a natural process of balancing my hormones out again and getting back to normal. For those who have never tried this, it just sounds like we didn't get pregnant, oh well, just keep trying right? Wrong. It's not that way with in vitro - I felt as if I had miscarried 3 babies. I have no idea when the spirit enters the body, but I am still grieving the loss of those little lives. I am not sad as much about not getting pregnant, I'm more sad at the loss of those three little ones - they were very much alive to us and already felt like a part of our family. We had prayed about them, fasted for them and spent so much time and energy in their behalf - of course we would feel great sorrow at their loss. We will not be trying in vitro again as it is very expensive and I'm getting "old" according to fertility docs. Ben did come naturally but it took 11 years of trying the "normal" way for that to happen and so I cannot let my hopes get too high that it will happen again.
(By the way...this is why I have started selling Mary Kay - to pay the astronomical doctor's bills for the procedure. It has been extra tough emotionally to pay for this because it didn't work. However, I never thought I would say this about selling anything...what a blessing. Those of you who have supported me in this endeavor have no idea how you have been an answer to many, many prayers. I don't necessarily like selling things - trust me! The Lord provided the money for our last in vitro bill but this time He has wanted me to work for it, which has actually ended up being a blessing as I have had to step outside of my comfort zone, develop new talents and concentrate on helping other women feel good about themselves. I almost have the bill paid off - anyone want to buy a lipstick?!)
I have not wanted to share this info with many people because it is a very private matter and it hurts, to be completely honest. When someone doesn't understand how badly it hurts they tend to make comments that just make it worse (I know the comments are made innocently and so I am never angry at the person but my heart aches just a little more than it did.) I also don't know how to verbaly relay that I have complete faith in the Lord's plan, but I still feel pain. I usually come off sounding like I don't feel sadness at all and then people think I don't care and then they don't care - at least that is how I feel. So, I just keep my mouth shut and don't say a word.
But here I am making a public announcement on our blog for the whole world to read. I have not been able to stop thinking about the need to let this be known. Since August, the Lord has put in my path so many women who are dealing with infertility, whether it be initial infertility or secondary infertility - it still hurts and it is still a very lonely problem. I wish I could get each of these women together in a room and we could all sit there and realize that we are not alone. I think each of these women would be amazed at how many women around them are struggling with the same issue. Since that probably isn't the best idea for many reasons, I am hoping each of those ladies will read this and know they are not alone. I know many couples have tried in vitro several times and have not even had the success we have had. I know some women only have to wait for 6 months and others their whole lives. I know some women have miscarriage after miscarriage and some find themselves needing to adopt in order to have children. The Lord has taught me over the years to never discount the pain of others just because you think it is not as hard as it could have been. Everyone's pain is painful because we do not know all of the dynamics involved and so we can never compare one person's pain to another.
This is long - my letter will need to be short but I will write more later. This letter is for any woman out there who feels alone and forgotten because of her inability to have children.

Dear Sarah,
Several years ago I got to know you as I was waiting for children to come to my home. I read about you in the bible. I read about the others who waited too - Rebekah, Rachel, Hannah and Elisabeth. You seemed like a group of sisters to me. Sisters in suffering. Sisters in faith and righteousness. The Lord pointed each of you out to me and told me to learn from you. He pointed out how valuable you were to Him in the building up of His kingdom and that the amount of children a woman has doesn't make her of any more worth than another. In fact, He taught me that if I never had a child in this life, I would still be able to perform an amazing work on this earth. I just want you to know how grateful I am for your willingness to trust the Lord, especially when you thought your chance was long gone. Because of your example, I have also tried to place my trust in Him and let Him be in control. He sees what I do not see. He knows what I do not know. He has a plan for my little family and I know it will be greater than any plan I could devise on my own.
Love,
Lisa
Wow, Lisa, I just don't know what to say. I never knew any of that, and I feel so blessed to have been able to read your story. You are an incredible person. You radiate love. Your last name couldn't be more appropriate for you. You're such a great mom to Lizzy and Ben.
ReplyDeleteWe struggled to conceive Asher, so I know a little bit of what you've gone through. I wish I knew why some people have to struggle with this. But for some reason, Heavenly Father has given you this trial in life. He knows the desires of your heart, and He knows how much you can handle.
You have obviously grown and learned so much from this struggle, and I'm sure you've helped to inspire others as well, because that's the kind of person you are. God bless you, Lisa. I feel so blessed to know you. You really have been an example to me.
Hillary, thank you for your sweet comments. You always have nice things to say. I actually wrote this post a month ago - it has taken me that long to press "publish post". We ALL have a story to tell. What makes me think that anyone needs to hear what I have to say? The fact that I meet too many women who think they are alone and that no one could possibly understand. My main goal in sharing this was to write about Sara, and the other women of the Bible, who have helped me through the years. Hopefully other women can draw from their deep strength as I have.
ReplyDeleteI have two beautiful children when I, at one point, thought I wouldn't have any. The Lord has been extremely generous with us and for that we will be eternally grateful.
Dear Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI read your post. My heart goes out to you. There just seems to be things that happen in our lives that we may never understand the reason why. The amazing miracle is that God finds way to send people our way to help us through those tough times. You were able to find Sara in the Bible that you can relate to. I have always found if I find an example of someone who had gone through something similiar and triumphed over it I always draw strength from them. I know for me I wanted to have more than the 3 kids that I have. Right now they are all teenagers and I am grateful that I only had 3. Actually it still hurts when I think of the big family that I could have had. Then I have experiences that if I had a big family I could do have done. The Lord has put opportunities in my path that I am grateful for. It is true that when he closes a door he opens a window. It is also okay to feel sad about it and when I feel sad about not having a large family I let those feelings happen and then they go away and I get myself up and keep going.
You are in a position to touch the lives of so many people. You are an amazing daughter of God that really has a gift to reach out and help. God will truly bless you for all you do.
I hope this makes sense.. I just wanted to respond and let you know you are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Linda
Lisa, I appreciated you sharing your experiences with us you are so amazing. I never really had problems with getting pregnant. but I had two misscarriages, which were tough.My heart was comforted by the blessings of the gospel and knowing that Father loves me abd truly feeling the love of the Savior. I love you and thankful for you.
ReplyDelete"Everyone's pain is painful." You said it perfect. I also like that you said just because you don't say much about it or keep a stiff upper lip because you know of the Lord's plan doesn't mean you don't care. I'm the sort of person who doesn't want people to feel sad or uncomfortable, so I usually just smile or shrug their consolations away. This might register to them as I don't care, but a part of me has died inside. People should know this about our kind (the great womankind).
ReplyDeleteI wrote something on my blog about my feelings on loss this year on Sept. 5th. I put a lot out there for the world to read, and I'm glad I did.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiraton to so many! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have always admired your strength! You radiate goodness!
We are all blessed to know you!
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I, like Sabra and probably everyone else, don't like making people feel uncomfortable. (I read your grief post Sabra. You should have warned me to have a box of tissues sitting next to me. I know how hard that must have been but you were probably so glad to get that out. Thank you for your courage.) A posting such as this is uncomfortable, but it was an easy way to make a public announcement. I know from the many sly little comments or hinty questions about me having another baby that have been directed my way lately that people are curious. You have every right to be. This was my way of helping you not feel so uncomfortable at my answer when someone does finally come right out and ask me. We would love to have more children and we will welcome them if they come. Until then, we have already been so blessed and will spend our energies and attentions on the two great little spirits who have already come to our family. BTW - please don't feel uncomfortable about telling us that you are expecting. We are sincerely happy for every pregnancy. I hate it when women are afraid to tell me they are pregnant.
ReplyDeleteI look at life as a series of mountain tops to conquer. So many women have helped me make it this far on this particular mountain top in my life. The women of the bible, Ardeth G. Kapp (who never had any children), Sheri Dew and Mary Ellen Edmunds and three of my favorite yw leaders were powerful examples to me of how to make to the top of this peak. I feel like I have reached a point on this trail where I can look back and start helping those who are further back on the trail than I am. I am not exaggerating when I say that I "run into" women all of the time who are dealing with infertility in one form or another. Coincidence is when God chooses to remain annonymous. If you are someone who is struggling, please check out the link 2ofus4now.org. What a valuable resource. The Ensign articles are especially faith promoting.
Anyway, I win the prize for the longest comment to a post! Is there a term for "long winded" that means one cannot write a couple sentences and be done? Thanks again everyone and I hope I have not made you too uncomfortable.
"The Lord has taught me over the years to never discount the pain of others just because you think it is not as hard as it could have been. Everyone's pain is painful because we do not know all of the dynamics involved and so we can never compare one person's pain to another."
ReplyDeleteThis is so true....
You know, you have apologized for possibly making people uncomfortable, but I think it is more likely that you have helped people to be MORE comfortable. It is good to know what is going on with someone. It is much easier then, not to say the wrong thing. I love how you have learned from the sisters in the bible. We can all learn from each other as well, but only if we share, right? Thanks for being so willing to share. Your example is inspiring....
Although, technically, I have been warned about making comments on my wife's blog for fear of embarrasing her, I want to take a moment to just thank you, Lisa, for being the wonderful, amazing woman that you are. Your faith inspires me and helps me to move forward on so many things. You are like Sara and Hanah and Elisabeth - full of sincere faith with a desire only to serve God. You have been blessed with two remarkable children - miracles on both accounts. Who knows, perhaps there will be more such miracles - but if not, we stand together united by God and strive to do what is right. I love you Lisa and am so amazed to call you my wife. You bless my life more than you 'll ever know. I love you and am proud of your courage to post this blog.
ReplyDelete-Troy
Lisa you are such an amazing person. You are a great example to me and I have always looked up to you from the time I was in your seminary class about 7 years ago. You and your family are adorrible and a special blessing from the Lord. You are awesome and I really enjoyed reading your blog. I never knew what it took to have children. Love, patience and trying everything is all you or anyone can do. Thanks for the many lesson you have taught me.
ReplyDeleteLove Stacie
I will be really surprised if any reader goes back this far on this blog to see my comment. Lisa, You know I love you. With this in mind, I am not really able to completely commiserate with you in your struggle to become a mother. And this is only because I am to remain single and childless in my earthly lifetime.(I do feel somewhat sad that you did have to experience your pregancy troubles and heartaches heaped upon you.) During the course of your marriage you have probably detested(for lack of a better word)the questions: when will you have children, why do you not have any, when will you have another? I too have questions I detest: when will you get married, why are you not yet married, are you dating/seeing anyone, and (as though I had already died) how come you never got married? Be it known I am no longer entertaining those questions.
ReplyDelete