My father died when I was 5-years-old. I do not have very many memories of him, but I do remember he had the most beautiful singing voice. One of the memories I have is of me sitting at his feet while he sang the song "Sing" by the Carpenters. It has always been a very special song to me.
I have been blessed with a husband who also has a beautiful singing voice. When we were first married, he was asked to sing in church quite often. Everyone assumed that because my husband could sing, I could also sing. It was inevitable, I was asked to sing with him in church and the sweet little lady who had arranged it would not back down no matter how many times I told her that I couldn't sing.
We practiced and practiced. I prayed and prayed. Troy let me buy a new dress for the occasion. It was the day before I was to sing and I was sick to my stomach with nervousness. We lived in Ogden, UT at the time and I distinctly remember driving along 12th St. turning onto Wall Ave when suddenly on the radio came the song "Sing".
Read the words while you think about my situation at the time:
Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad
(*) sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song
La la la la la
La la la la la la...
Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me
It was an answer to my prayers and my father, who had been gone for so long by then, had been part of it. The next day I put on my new dress and stood with Troy at the pulpit while we sang some medley of hymns - can't remember which ones. I actually did ok and I didn't die and I honored both of my fathers that day.
We each have talents and abilities different from those around us but we each have a song the needs to be heard. We need to sing that song loudly and with strength, not being ashamed of who we are. God made each of us different on purpose and we honor Him when we use those talents to share good things, not bad, happy, not sad. We need not worry if our little talent is good enough because it is and as we develop them our whole life long, they will grow stronger.
Most importantly, as we sing of love - the love of our Savior most specifically - we will know more of the love there could be and then we will rejoice as the world begins to sing along.
Answers to prayers on the radio are awesome!!
I have been blessed with a husband who also has a beautiful singing voice. When we were first married, he was asked to sing in church quite often. Everyone assumed that because my husband could sing, I could also sing. It was inevitable, I was asked to sing with him in church and the sweet little lady who had arranged it would not back down no matter how many times I told her that I couldn't sing.
We practiced and practiced. I prayed and prayed. Troy let me buy a new dress for the occasion. It was the day before I was to sing and I was sick to my stomach with nervousness. We lived in Ogden, UT at the time and I distinctly remember driving along 12th St. turning onto Wall Ave when suddenly on the radio came the song "Sing".
Read the words while you think about my situation at the time:
Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad
(*) sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song
La la la la la
La la la la la la...
Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me
It was an answer to my prayers and my father, who had been gone for so long by then, had been part of it. The next day I put on my new dress and stood with Troy at the pulpit while we sang some medley of hymns - can't remember which ones. I actually did ok and I didn't die and I honored both of my fathers that day.
We each have talents and abilities different from those around us but we each have a song the needs to be heard. We need to sing that song loudly and with strength, not being ashamed of who we are. God made each of us different on purpose and we honor Him when we use those talents to share good things, not bad, happy, not sad. We need not worry if our little talent is good enough because it is and as we develop them our whole life long, they will grow stronger.
Most importantly, as we sing of love - the love of our Savior most specifically - we will know more of the love there could be and then we will rejoice as the world begins to sing along.
Answers to prayers on the radio are awesome!!
Man I love that song! It always makes me happy! I remember when we were kids every night my dad would make us sing songs before we prayed as a family. I hated it so much but now that I'm older it means alot to me. We sang to bring in the spirit before we prayed to our Hevenly Father. I love my dad for that each and every day! Answers are awesome and no matter how we get them they are always what we need at that particular time in our lives. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Lisa! I enjoyed your post! I will have to tell you about my cousin that lost her Dad at the age of three! She had a similar expereince as yours! I will see you next Monday!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool story that shows answers to prayers, memories are powerful, and anything is possible! Thanks for your new goal because you are inspiring many!
ReplyDeleteThe first time I ever met you, you told a different story of a prayer answered on the radio. I don't remember how many years ago it was (you came to speak to our ward RS for Enrichment or something like that) but I do remember your great story!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you see answers to prayers everywhere you look. I'm also glad you share your stories. It is good for other people to learn to look at the world in the way that you do.
Beautiful sentiments!
ReplyDeleteI just saw the comment you posted on my blog about infertility and I just wanted to say "Thank you." I have read some of your posts on infertility and it is through those that I have gained some of my strength. I have read the book "Sarah" by Orson SCott Card and LOVED it!!! It was several years ago before I thought about getting married. I will go back and read again with this different perspective given my present circumstances. Thank you for the suggestion because I hadn't thought about it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again! :)
ReplyDelete