I just returned home from a retreat for women called "A New You". It was held at the University of Utah this year. Words can't even describe what that program has done for me. So much is taught during the week long conference. Spiritual messages are heard each morning and evening with inspirational devotionals and firesides. Other topics include: motivation, goals, nutrition and health, time management, fashion tips, what styles and colors look best on you, how to hold yourself properly, not to mention a fabulous make-over at a great salon. Through the promptings of the Spirit each teacher, no matter the topic, is able to weave inspirational messages into each class.
This conference focuses on the whole package, not just spiritual and mental well being. I have discovered, from my own experience, that when a woman feels confidant about how she looks (not that she has tons of make-up on or the most expensive clothing or is stick thin, but that she feels confidant in her ability to present herself well), then she is powerful and able to face all that comes her way and others give her more respect and take her more seriously. When I explain to others, I see the lights go on in their eyes as they fully comprehend the scope and vision of what is taught at "A New You". You truly cannot separate the spiritual from the physical - they go hand in hand and by improving both a woman (or a man) is more in tune with their whole self.
This was the third year that I had the opportunity to be involved in this conference. The last two years I have had the honor of being part of the staff. But, participant or staff, it doesn't matter, I have come home a new me each time. A new, more confidant, more peaceful and more grateful daughter of our Father in Heaven. The Spirit was felt so strongly this year as Barbara Barrington Jones (Creator and organizer of A New You), Julie De Azevedo, Brad Wilcox, Kenneth Cope, Jessie Clark-Funk, Chieko Okazaki and Dr. John Lund shared their incredible testimonies and talents with us. I was filled. In fact, I told a friend today that this program doesn't just fill your bucket...you actually get a new bucket!
I am asking that those whom I have met over the years who have also attended this conference, add their two cents as well. I want to know what A New You has done for you. I did not take any pictures this year (I left the camera with Troy so I could see pictures of what he and the kids were doing all week) It is no matter. My heart took enough pictures to last forever.
Hey Lisa. Hope you don't mind if I check in on your blog once in a while since you so kindly posted a link on facebook. I loved this post! It's wonderful that they tour around and are able to lift others everywhere! Feel free to check out my blog. I'm not very consistant, but once in a while I chime in! -Heather
ReplyDeleteI had a great experience and it was my first year going. I learned the Heavenly Father does care about each of us individually. I knew he did, but it was solidly confmirmed when I decided to come. I so loved all the speakers and felt so uplifted every time we had a speaker or vocal artist. Barbara is an amazing person, and I am amazed that she has gone through such trials in life, and they they are very similar to some of mine. I know now that hope is still here, that I can trust in the Lord and I will be okay. I met new friends and connected with some older friends and it was wonderful because now I feel more like Jesus is my friend as well. Thank you Heavenly Father for knowing what I need. Friends...you are welcome to visit my blog and read some other thoughts on this wonderful conference. http://throughthelookingglassweawait.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteSusie Phillips
This was my second year attending A New You. Last year I was so focused on my physical appearance that I was disappointed at my make over and, well, just at me. It took over half the week (and some great new friends) to help me realize that it is more than just the outside that matters. I came home truly a new me as I switched my focus to my inside self.
ReplyDeleteThis year I felt different. While I enjoyed salon day and Kris's class, I really listened to the messages on how to become a better balanced me. Many times it was said that it matters not the size of the package, but what's inside it.
Rebecca Woodruff
So, this has nothing to do with this post, but awhile back you told me to read "Sarah" by Orson Scott Card and that it could be a great comfort and a guide to me. Well, I just wanted you to know that I did read it again and you were absolutely right!! It has proved to be a HUGE comfort and guide. Thank you so much for your advice :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a comment that was emailed directly to me from a new friend I met this year, Paulette Bird.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell everyone at 'A New You' how much I loved meeting you and sharing special moments together. What a remarkable program that encourages women and tells us we are special. I have found myself standing a little straighter, walking with my shoulders back and remembering who I am... a choice daughter of God.
I went to A New You three years ago and I am still reaping blessings from that decision. I think the way it effected me the most is it put me on a different path in life. A path that helped me realize that I am a daughter of God and He loves me, I can make changes and become more Christlike everyday and that I need to be the best I can be in order to be an instrument in God's hand. I left A New you with a great goal to get out of my comfort zone and not be afraid. It was a spring board to many things in my life and I feel it was a great beginning to some amazing changes that have happened since then and continue to happen on a daily basis. It was more than a week long program but a life time of strength and improvements in my life.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest blessings was meeting so many women that were so accepting, loving and embracing to me. From the moment I met them at the airport to the whole experience during the week those women have and still continue to touch my heart for good. I just do not know where I would be without them.
The program itself was amazing and really helped me feel more confident about myself inside and outside. I learned so many that things that have helped improve the whole person and I have kept that motivation to continue. I have realized that there are so many opportunities around us to feel the spirit and become better people we just have to grasp them and take advantage of them. I really wanted to go again this year but we did not have the money. I am so motivated to go next year that I am saving up now and putting a little bit away each month. It is amazing and one of the biggest blessings in my life that I will never forget.
A New You is one of the greatest things I have ever done for myself. As Linda said, the feeling from beginning to end is uplifting. When it was time to come home I felt I was leaving behind Zion for Babylon.
ReplyDeleteI have attended A New You twice. Last year I came home feeling that if I am "put together" it is easier to reach out and love others rather than focusing on myself. I bought jewelry and always dressed and put makeup and earrings on when I left the house even if it was just to go to the post office. People noticed! It has helped me in many relationships, and I feel like a better servant of my Father in Heaven.
This year a different focus--developing a sense of humor and loving people instead of trying to change them. This will be harder, but Barbara and her staff have given me the tools and the encouragement to do it.
This is truly an inspired and worthwhile program. I can't wait to find out what happens to me next time! Thanks to you, Lisa, for your time and efforts to help us! I love you!
Great comments I love A New You Lisa could you post this entry on the Fans of A New you Woman's program page on Face book I think it is so well put. I would appreciate it.
ReplyDelete