I sat down to talk with her about this the other day and this is how our conversation went,
Me: "Lizzy, you only have 2 games left. I would like you to finish out the season and then we'll sign you up for dancing again."
Lizzy: "But mom, I hate soccer!"
Me: "Why do you hate it so much?"
Lizzy: "I get so tired! Those other kids were just made to play soccer. I was made to dance mommy!"
Me: "So you feel that you are not made to play soccer?" (how many times have I felt those exact feelings about any sport? a gazillion!)
Lizzy: (her little shoulders start to shake and big tears run down her face.) "I can NEVER get a goal. Those boys are just too fast and too mean and I never get to make a goal."
Me: (I had no idea she even cared about making a goal. This little revelation surprised me.) "So you don't like soccer because you haven't been able to make a goal?"
Lizzy: (still crying) "Yes. Oh mommy, my legs were made to dance, not run."
Me: All I could do was hug her and love her and let her know that no matter what she was made to do, she would always have my full support. I realized that maybe I had been the one most interested in her doing soccer and so I had probably tried to live my life through her? She is only 4 and I'm already doing that!! What next?
Soccer will end. Troy has been a fabulous coach for these 4-5 year-olds. It has been a ton of fun but I think we'll trade the soccer cleats back in for some ballet slippers. She has also been begging for a violin...? Maybe she'll be our artistic child.

Side note: After a church activity the other day, I couldn't find Lizzy anywhere in the building. I searched everywhere I thought she would be, but then finally I opened the chapel doors. Lizzy had turned on the lights, figured out how to turn on the microphone and was standing at the podium singing primary songs with all of her little heart. Yes, maybe it will be music and dancing for her.
Another side note: While Lizzy was begging to be off the field, Ben was begging to be on. I had to find a babysitter for him during the games or I had to put up with him kicking and screaming because he couldn't play soccer with the kids. I have a feeling I'll attend my share of sporting events in the future.
Lizzy is so precious! She is so sweet! I bet she will enjoy ballet lessons! :)
ReplyDeleteI like a girl who knows what she wants to do and what she's good at :) She is a very pretty little ballerina :)
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cute story. I asked Zeeli a couple of questions about what she would like to do and she chose karate out of piano, dance, and swimming. I was a little surprised.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet girl you have!
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting how each child turns out so differently. What is so cute about Lizzy, is that she seems to know what she wants, and what she should be doing. I have a feeling she was made to do a WHOLE LOT of really good things:)