Monday, March 1, 2010

Read this several times until it sinks in...

You do not HAVE a soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis



Okay, so here is my interpretation...(WARNING - deep thoughts ahead)
In the past few months, something has occurred to me that has most likely been taught to me over the course of my whole life time, but has never sunk in, at least not to this new level. It is as if a forgotten memory has been restored - a memory that is begging to be explored and fully comprehended.

I have lived on this earth for almost 38 years now. I have experienced so much - good and bad. Volumes could be filled with the many different growth opportunities that have been presented to me. I am grateful for each soul stretching experience and, of course, there are a few experiences I could completely have done without. But as with all of our Father's children, I can say, "I am who I am because of my life's experiences."

Something inside of myself has been challenging that notion just a bit. Well, challenging isn't the right word. I think the correct way to describe my feeling is that my perspective is changing. C.S. Lewis' quote explains it perfectly. I am not made up of just these past 38 mortal years. There is so much more to me. There is so much more to each one of us. Who I am is not limited to the experiences I have had and the choices I have made while here on this earth. My spirit existed long before this little mortal sojourn and my spirit will exist long after. I am who I am because of my eternal existence - not just this little package of mortal years I carry around with me.

It sounds so simple. I have been taught this principle so many times and I have understood it before now, but it is sinking deeper somehow. I do not have a soul. I am a soul. I have a body - an imperfect body for now. Because of Jesus Christ, my soul and my body can be reunited after this life in perfect form. Yes!!! (Bring on the skinny girl...um...robes?) Even then, I will still be me - the me I have always been (well, hopefully a wiser, kinder, more compassionate, understanding, obedient, self-disciplined me - okay, let's throw in astrophysics smarter and a divinely greater sense of humor while we're at it. Oh and better teeth.) :) Life is good - eternity is even better!

There is eternity in each of us, even if it is sometimes completely covered up by our mortalness. (is that a word? My spell check says it isn't. Oh well, it fits) We ALL deserve a closer look, ALL of us.

5 comments:

  1. I like that! I think it shows a person's worth because a soul is precious and something to be treated with respect and reverence and kept special. I like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am WAY too covered in mortalness. (My spell check doesn't like it either, but I happen to like it.)

    Very nice post. I will have to ponder it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me think, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete