Okay, I'm going to be completely honest here...I dreamed last night that I needed to put these specific two thoughts together on my blog. So, I am. Call me crazy.
Sister Bonnie D.Parkin, who was, at the time, the General Relief Society President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said, "My daughter-in-law’s mother, Susan, was a wonderful seamstress. President Kimball lived in their ward. One Sunday, Susan noticed that he had a new suit. Her father had recently returned from a trip to New York and had brought her some exquisite silk fabric. Susan thought that fabric would make a handsome tie to go with President Kimball’s new suit. So on Monday she made the tie. She wrapped it in tissue paper and walked up the block to President Kimball’s home.
On her way to the front door, she suddenly stopped and thought, “Who am I to make a tie for the prophet? He probably has plenty of them.” Deciding she had made a mistake, she turned to leave.
Just then Sister Kimball opened the front door and said, “Oh, Susan!”
Stumbling all over herself, Susan said, “I saw President Kimball in his new suit on Sunday. Dad just brought me some silk from New York . . . and so I made him a tie.”
Before Susan could continue, Sister Kimball stopped her, took hold of her shoulders, and said: “Susan, never suppress a generous thought.”
Susan didn’t have an assignment to make that tie. She wasn’t hired to do so. Despite feeling a bit hesitant, she did it because it felt right. Susan had a quiet sense of mission to serve others. I was also the beneficiary of such service. Her service went beyond any calling because it lasted throughout her life. Never suppressing a generous thought became a part of her personal ministry." http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=11599&x=65&y=9
In the October General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said,
"Some feel guilty because they cannot meet every need immediately. I love the quote Elder Neal A. Maxwell often used from Anne Morrow Lindbergh: 'My life cannot implement in action the demands of all the people to whom my heart responds.'King Benjamin taught, 'See that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength.'But he added that we should be diligent. http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-29,00.html
Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI want to tell you why I love this so much. That first quote has inspired plenty of conversation in my home...and guilt. My husband helped to alleviate some of that guilt, by bringing that second quote to my attention! I love that you also have put them together for lots of people to take what they can from each.
I will not be calling you crazy, at least not in this particular instance ;)
Wow, I find your post amazing! I was thinking about this exact same quote yesterday from Sister Kimball, as I was driving to the Post office. It kept coming back to me loud and clear! I was grateful for this thought. It answered my question profoundly.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting and sharing it! I still remember this great talk that you shared with us in Institute!
Have a great week!
WOW thanks so much for sharin this wonderful thought. I dont think you are crazy either...just inspired. You are awesome in that way that you are always listenin to the spirit. I have always loved that about you. You are so intune and follow the promtings. You have taught me alot over the years and im thankful. Thanks for bein awesome and sharing this w/ me. I loved it so much. Serving is such a huge part of my life. I don't know what I would do w/out it. Thanks :)
ReplyDeleteLisa, I don't know how I landed here, but thank you for posting these. Sometimes I need...validation. AND I UNDERSTAND CRAZY!! =) YOU are NOT it! ;) Tammy
ReplyDelete