Lizzy - at five-years-old - has still been afraid to fall asleep alone in her room. We've tried everything. With every attempt to help her I have always felt like the Savior has told me, "Be patient with her. It will happen." So I haven't pushed too much and I've actually grown to love our time together at night - knowing that one day, she will be too big for me to cuddle with, nor will she always need me that way. I decided to just store up the joy of our time together so that when she is a teenager (and much more independent) I can take those jars off the shelf and remember her cuddly days.
Well, something clicked inside her head a few days ago. After a couple of stories and prayers, she is willing to go to sleep on her own.
About ten minutes after I tucked her in her bed last night she came out of her room to find me. I automatically thought that she was going to ask me to go snuggle with her. She surprised me when she said,
"Mommy, I am going to be okay because Heavenly Father is going to take care of me."
Me: "Yes sweety He is."
Lizzy: "He really will because He is real."
Me. "Yes, He is."
Lizzy: "No, mommy, (said very slowly and with emphasis) HE IS REALLY REAL."
With that she went back to her room and fell asleep. Leaving me to ponder once again, which one of us is the teacher?
(Heart).
ReplyDeleteGood job Mommy for teaching her!
And blessing to our children for teaching us!
She is a real special spirit! I love that story. It really makes you stop and think. If such a small child really and truely believes how come its so hard for us as Adults. We need to be as a small child. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Stacie. I wish I, as an adult, could believe and trust Him so fully and completely and then never loose that faith and knowledge. What wonderful teachers young children are to us! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing! I rue the day when my daughter wants to go to bed alone, but I am weak and sometimes impatient. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see what The Lord has in store for this little girl. She is AMAZING! But then again... look at her parents:)
ReplyDelete