There's some gucky illness going around. It is Ben's and Lizzy's turn to be sick. Ben has actually almost lost his voice entirely and Lizzy sounds like a frog every once in a while. Here's the thing...my sweet kiddos skipped the class in heaven on how to behave when you are sick. (You would think that with as long as they took to get here they would have taken every class!)
What this means is, no one is sleeping or lying around or being still or quiet, no one. It is energy full-steam-ahead, but with the limitations of not being able to go anywhere or have friends over or go swimming or, you know, anything to keep a mom sane.
We are on day two of this sickness - two of Troy's long days where he leaves at 7am and doesn't come home until late, late. So, do you get where I'm going with this? I needed to do something drastic.
I decided to make a chocolate cake.
When we were done baking, frosting and decorating the cake a generous thought passed through my mind, "You should give that away to someone to cheer them up." But then I thought, "No". We each had a piece and now this is what is left over. It is delicious, truly it is and it must leave my house IMMEDIATELY!!
My sister Wendy's AMAZING chocolate cake recipe:
Mix:
1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 teas baking soda
1 1/2 teas baking powder
1 teas salt
Add:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup veg oil
2 teas vanilla
Mix with hand mixer then add one cup boiling water
Batter will be thin. Bake at 350 for 30 min.
Frosting:
1 1/2 cups butter softened
1/2 cup butter crisco
2 teas vanilla
5 TBS milk
Add 12 cups powdered sugar (2 cups at at ime)
If making chocolate frosting, substitute one of the cups of powdered sugar with 1 cup of cocoa powder.
Add more milk as needed (This is a TON of frosting so I usually half the recipe)
How Fun! I love chocolate cake days! I usually have cookie dough days, and brownie days!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a Very Delicious Cake. Anyone who had that arrive on their doorstep was very fortunate.
ReplyDeleteI love the chocolate kid pictures.
J.K. Rowling had it right when she said that Chocolate is the best remedy for a dementor attack... Dementors suck all the happiness out of you leaving you completely depressed. I have always thought it was so funny that she used Chocolate to fight depression :)
ReplyDeleteTroy
That's not funny Troy, she's a woman, she understand completely. Maybe you should keep a bowl of chocolates near the couch in your office. It may just work wonders for your clients!
ReplyDelete