Sunday, September 26, 2010

She Figured It Out

We spent a few days in Disneyland this past week. I have always loved Disneyland but since going there with my children I crazy love Disneyland!

Lizzy was 14 months old the first time I took her to Disneyland. Yes, you read that correctly. 14 months old! Some friends were going to chaperon a high school choir trip and suggested I tag along. Troy was serving in the Bishopric and working three jobs and so Lizzy and I were always alone. I decided to be spontaneous and brave and join my friends.

Lizzy and I had a blast!! Even at that young age, she knew she was in a great place. She didn't even take a nap that day. Her eyes were wide open and she had a smile on her face all day long. I was hooked and so was she and I vowed we would return as soon as we could.(I would love to add a picture of that first time but my computer is still withholding information from me! Here are some pictures from other trips.)
Giving Minnie a kiss (20 months old)
 Giving Pluto a kiss
Giving Belle a hug
Chatting with Cinderella
When you only have to pay for yourself (because kids are free until they are 3) it makes it a whole lot easier to go. I had always heard you should wait until your kids can actually remember their trip before you spend the money to go to Disneyland.

Well, I'm here to tell you that one of the perks of going when your child is still young is watching their eyes light up when they totally believe that they are talking to the real Cinderella or the real Mickey Mouse. Tears would come to my eyes sometime as she would turn to me and I could tell her little heart would almost burst with joy. And, by the way, she does remember those early trips. She has an incredible memory.

Well, those days are over, kind of. Last week Lizzy was very observant and very curious. Here are some of the questions she asked:

While riding on Pirates of the Caribbean...
Lizzy: "Mom, that isn't the real sky is it? It is just the ceiling of the building we are in and someone painted it huh?."


Lizzy: "Mom, those logs aren't really on fire. How do they make it look like they are on fire?"

While riding on the Jungle Cruise...
Lizzy: "Mom, those elephants aren't real. How do they get them to move like they are real?"

While in the Tikki Room...
Lizzy, "Mom it isn't really raining outside but it looks like it is. How do they do that?"

While standing in line to meet Minnie Mouse...
Lizzy: "Mom, how does that girl see?"
Me.: "What girl? You mean Minnie Mouse? She sees with her eyes."
Lizzy: "No, mom. The girl in the Minnie Mouse costume. How does she see through the Minnie head?"

While watching a girl playing Alice in Wonderland...
Lizzy: "Her wig is really pretty."

The nice thing is that she was still excited to meet the characters and ride the rides. She is beginning to see things as they really are and I guess I should be happy about that. It just means she is growing up faster than I thought, that's all.

We'll see how Santa Clause does this year. I figured out the Santa thing when I was about her age but it didn't ruin Christmas for me, I still choose to believe. :)

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to go to Disneyland and to see your children eyes light up! I can't wait to show Carter! And they do grow up fast! You are such a great mom! Oh, I love the Ben's costume..and you look absolutely gorgeous making all that jam! FUN!

    ReplyDelete