Friday, April 15, 2011

The First REAL Spring Break

The last week of March/first week of April was Lizzy's first OFFICIAL Spring Break. We've always known when the schools were out for spring break and even though neither of my children were in school, there just seemed to be something in the air that made us all want to do extra special fun activities during those two weeks. But for the first time, these two weeks actually felt like a break and I thoroughly loved our time together. I never once wished that Lizzy was back in school. We just slept in until like 7am each morning :) stayed in our pajamas, did some crafts, watched some cartoons, went to see a couple of movies, read some books, played some games, planted flowers and just relaxed. 

On one of our break days, we went "yondering" with our cousins. My grandmother taught us about "yondering". You just walk out your door and see where the wind takes you. We didn't just walk out our door but we met up with cousins at the West Wetlands Park for a nature walk and an afternoon picnic.
I wish I could write that we found the beauty in the dry, barren, wasteland of a desert we live in. I wish I could say the temperatures were perfect. But none of this is so. HOWEVER, the kids had a ton of fun, which is the most important. But my sister Wendy and cousin Becky and I (mostly I) walked behind the kids griping and moaning and wishing we were up in our native Northern Utah mountains for our little excursion. It was in the 90's on this day, which was way too hot but we survived and the picnic in the park afterward was just the right touch.
Ethan Horrocks (4), Ben Love (4), Will Crookston (3), Jacob Horrocks (7), Lizzy Love (6), Porter Horrocks (6)  Katie Crookston (2) is somewhere in there and Emma Horrocks (9-months) and Lizzie Crookston (8-months) were taking it easy in the strollers.
Our adventurous ones
Lizzy loved helping Katie walk down this hill.
Our grandma taught us all to find walking sticks. We must teach this same tradition to our little explorers.


Behold the mighty Becky Crookston - pushing two children while carrying on one her shoulders! What a woman!!
The only flowers we encountered on our nature walk were found on this one tree.
the Mormon Batallion statue provided the only notable scenic view on our outing. Thanks tall bronze guy!
 We found a park, ate our picnic lunch and let the kids have some shady fun.

And, yes, once again, I'm not good at getting people to pose for pictures but at least my shots of real life. :) ( I keep telling myself that)

1 comment:

  1. What a neat place!! I've never really gotten to explore the place because they didn't make it all fabulous until after I moved. Definitely something I'll have to put on my "To Do" list the next time I visit. I just love exploring! What a fun thing to teach your kids to do!! :)

    ReplyDelete