Warning: This is just me needing to empty my brain of some thoughts so that I can sort them out. I do not expect anyone to read this, I just need to put it down in writing...
So, since my last post about wanting to cast off stereotypes and help others despite the stigma of some situations, I have realized how truly difficult this task will be. There are scary people out there and there are those who want to hurt and harm and I need to be careful.
(Here is the sociologist inside of me...) are these people scary because of social norms, demands, perspectives, expectations? If these people had been given all the love and acceptance and attention they needed as children, would they not have grown up to be people to avoid? I agree that some people have some inborn tendancies, but if they had been smothered with love, would they have turned out somewhat normal? I used to totally hate that whole "I had a rough childhood and so I'm screwed up as an adult" thing...I have a husband who is a therapist who has helped me see the reality of some of these statements and I've discovered the root to some of my own problems and you would never believe where they stem from... my childhood!
I'm not blaming anyone. My mom did her best. She had junk she had to sort through as well. Someone pointed out to me once that yes, I am a blessing in the lives of my children, but I am also part of their trial. Ouch! My weaknesses make me an imperfect mother and no matter how hard I try, I will make some mistakes which will leave lasting impressions on my children. It is part of mortality.
What can I do?!?! I think I've written before, LOVE is the answer. Oh, I need to shower my children with more love and acceptance and forgiveness and joy and praise. I am more and more convinced that these actions are as vaccines and vitamins and antibiotics to our spirits to help us avoid destructive behaviors and attitudes.
I might add that teaching my children about our Savior Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice is, without a doubt, the single most important topic I can cover with them. He and ONLY He can heal them from the wounds of this life.
Anyway, back to my problem. I know that I'm doing better in accepting and loving those who may be struggling with mental illnesses or other hard-to-know-what-to-say situations. That's a start and I'll just keep plugging away.
I have this feeling that after this life, after the wrinkles are all ironed out and things are set straight, we will have a lot of apologies to make to one another and also a lot of gratitude to express. I'm hoping to avoid needing to make some apologies then by making some changes now.
No comments:
Post a Comment