Sunday, June 19, 2011

Change is Good.....right?

I want to record some changes that took place in my life today because they have made me very emotional this week.

For the past 2 1/2 years it has been my honor and joy to serve as the 1st Counselor in the Stake Relief Society Presidency. I have had the privilege of working with three incredible women: Janis Workman, Leslie Lundgren and Edna Thompson. It is amazing how the Lord works. He put us together to serve the women of the stake and I think that with the Lord's help and direction, we were able to put on some tremendous programs and inspire the women of our stake. Even more though, each of us have been through something very significant during the time we served together and we have been able to hang onto each other for strength. Janis' husband was recently called to serve as our new Stake President so a release was inevitable.  I felt very sad today as I heard our names being read as those who were to be released. (I LOVE YOU GUYS! YOU ROCK!!)

The twist for me is that just as I was released as the 1st counselor today, I was then called as the 1st counselor of the Stake Relief Society once again, new president and new 2nd counselor and secretary. All three are wonderful women whom I am excited to serve with. I felt the Spirit very strongly tell me today that this is not the same calling I was just released from. I'm not just keeping the calling and being carried over. I was released from that presidency and then called to serve in a completely different presidency for completely different reasons than the one before. I wonder what the Lord has in store for us. Whatever it is, I trust Him and know this is the beginning of a new spiritual adventure.

But I was released from another calling today, a calling I have loved more than I could have anticipated. For the past 4 years I have been the adult institute teacher for our stake. I knew I wouldn't be able to have that calling forever, I knew someday my turn would be up and I've been feeling strong promptings telling me that the time has come. So when the Stake President brought it up in our interview, I wasn't surprised. He was so kind. He knows how much I have loved this assignment. He even told me I could keep it a little longer if I wanted to but that he felt it was time. I knew he was right. I even knew who should be the next teacher. When he asked me for suggestions, I told him the name of Janis Workman (his wife and our just released stake RS president) He nodded his head and said she was the person they had felt inspired to call as well. I feel so good about her stepping in and taking the class to a whole new level. I can't wait to sit in on the lessons and continue to learn.

As I left the Stake President's office after our interview, my feelings reminded me of another time I left a Stake President's office. I was 24-years-old and had just returned home the day before from serving a full-time mission.

The last words the Stake President had said to me were, "You can remove your missionary tag now."  

"Is that possible?", I thought to myself. "Isn't it permanently attached to me?" I knew that day would come but I didn't know it would feel so final and like I was leaving a part of me behind. 18 months had gone so quickly. How could my turn already be over?

My heart broke in two that day. Obviously, it mended and I discovered just what I had been promised in the MTC...those short, short 18 months would bless me for the rest of eternity. I can honestly say that is true and I'm looking forward to continually discovering this truth long after this earth life is over.

Likewise, after being released from teaching institute, I felt like my missionary tag had been taken away. My heart broke. I cried for two days. My tears were for so many reasons but mostly because of the overwhelming gratitude I was feeling for the blessings that have been showered upon me while teaching institute. Most of those blessings are the same blessings that come with any teaching assignment - the teacher always learns the most. But the blessings also included interacting with wonderful, wonderful people each week who touched my heart with their faith and just their desire to keep returning! I was amazed each week for the whole 4 years that people kept coming to the class!

It is time for a new chapter in my life. Just as a full-time mission changed my life for the better, so has teaching institute changed my life. I will be grateful for eternity!

How does one write a thank you note to our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ? I know, I know, keep the commandments, share the gospel, live like you believe. But even that somehow doesn't seem to be enough to express the gratitude I feel for having been given the opportunity to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this capacity for the past 4 years. I want to run to them, throw my arms around each of them and, through my sobs, say, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A million times thank you!"

Moral of this story: Never turn down a teaching assignment. You don't have any idea the abundance of blessings you would be saying no to. Even if you are terrified - especially if you are terrified - do it!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I think that the people who have attended your classes these last few years are likely to cry for MORE than two days!

    ReplyDelete