Thursday, June 30, 2011

From One "Teacher" To Another

About a year ago I began feeling a strong need to teach my children the specifics of the Plan of Salvation. I began teaching parts here and there and then I decided to make my own diagram. Along with my own visual aids, I found this wonderful book to assist in this pursuit. It was a great purchase so I thought I would share...

Author of the popular Who's Your Hero? series, David Bowman once again brings us his delightful drawings in his new book, The Great Plan of Happiness. Children of all ages will enjoy the full-color, fun illustrations as they learn about the importance of the plan of salvation. Parents will love how simply it explains to children where they came from, why they're here on earth, and where they go after death. This wonderful resource is perfect for family home evening, church, or quiet teaching moments in the home.
(Deseret Book)

The author has done a wonderful job explaining the doctrines of the Great Plan while also teaching how the plan applies to our every day lives. He has also provided Family Home Evening helps at the back! Yay!

I don't know why the impressions to teach the Plan were so intense. What I do know is that when our eternal Father shared the plan with us, we shouted for joy!! When we understand who we are, why we are here and where we can go, our perspective changes, it becomes easier to make the right decisions and our hope for a better world can get us through the dark earthly moments. Most importantly, we know WHY we NEED a Savior and our gratitude and reverence for Jesus Christ will deepen and increase.

There is this one guy who hates the Plan. he is doing all he can to make us forget who we are and Whose we are. he aims firey arrows at our hearts, trying to wound us so that we will be miserable like him. he is aiming those arrows at you and he is aiming them at your children. It is our job to help our children be armed with the knowledge and testimony necessary to protect themselves.

YOU are your child's most influential teacher. Don't underestimate your child's ability to understand the deep doctrines of the Plan and DO NOT let satan lead you to believe that you can't understand them either. he is a liar. Should I write that again? he is a liar and he whispers lies like "you are a terrible mother" or "you don't know enough to teach your children" or "it's too late for you to try to teach this" or "your family will think you are weird" or "You don't need to teach that right now. There will be time later" or "You just need to have fun with your kids. They will learn the spiritual stuff at church." or "You already went over that. No need to talk about it again." HE IS LYING!!! Don't listen to him. (How do I know all this? he does the same thing to me on a daily basis. Sometimes I recognize his lies but a lot of times I don't - especially on days I don't read the scriptures or start the day with a prayer.)

We learn while we teach. Our testimonies are strengthened when we share them - especially when we share them with our children. We all need the eternal perspective that comes from knowing the Plan that, at one time in our existence, made us all shout for joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment