Thursday, July 14, 2011

This Should Be A Cathching Up Post... But...

Once again, I'm far behind on this blog thingy. Summer has been so much fun with not too many commitments to govern our days. I have lots of fun pictures and anecdotes to share.

But I don't have time right now to play catch up. It will have to wait.

Until then, I really want to share two quotes that I have recently put on my fridge and try to read throughout the day. I mentioned earlier that I'm trying to be a healthier person and figure out if my body is struggling with Celiac Disease or Thyroid or both (You can check out that post here). I will eventually need to see a doctor about some things but without insurance and a lot of money for tests, I'm still in my self-diagnosing phase and I'm learning a lot.  I've been trying to follow the promptings of the Spirit and include the Lord in all of my questions and ponderings. He is the one who created my body - He can help me understand it. He knows what it needs. (Did you know that the scriptures talk about health and taking care of your physical body as a way of being obedient in a whole lot more places than just D&C 89?)

What I've been feeling lately is that I may need to cut out even more than just gluten for a while - like sugar and even dairy. Not forever, but until my body can feel healthier. It's ironic that I used to think that people who said things like I just wrote were crazy, or misguided. Turns out I was the misguided one. If my body needs to cut out some particular foods for a while to feel healthier then what is wrong with that? We live in an imperfect world with imperfect bodies and imperfect food - especially our over processed pre-packaged and fast-food foods.  My particular imperfect body may be reacting adversely to some of that imperfect food and so it is time I do some investigating. This may not be the answer for everyone but it is looking like it may be the answer for me and because my children share some of my DNA, it may turn out to be an issue for them as well.

Anyway, it is beginning to be a soap box of mine so I could go on and on.

Here are the two quotes that I have been reading lately,

"Be open to the messages and mysteries of your body and its symptoms. Be eager to listen and slow to judge. What you learn may have the capacity to save your life." Christiane Northrup, MD "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom"

Think for just a minute about what it might mean to be "slow to judge" when it comes to listening to your body. I'll let you all come to your own understandings about that but I will say that it occurs to me that if we are judgmental of others, we are judgmental of ourselves. Think about it.

"We all need to learn to listen to the voice within, in more ways than we can imagine. Listen to your body with the kind and amount of food and drink you ingest, with the conversations with your friends and family, with the pain or dis-ease you may be experiencing. Your body knows more than your mind is willing to give it credit. Be quiet - LISTEN." Dr. Stan Gardner (His wife is one of my most favorite people in the world. If I lived in Utah, Dr. Gardner would be my doctor!)

Just ponder those two thoughts and let the Spirit teach you what you need to know in this area of your life - it is different for everyone but it is of the same great importance to all of us.

This post has taken me an hour to type because of my many interruptions. I better stop here and try later to catch things up where our summer fun is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment