Thursday, December 29, 2011

Snow in Yuma?!

I purposely am way behind on this post. I needed to recover first so that I could write an unstressed narrative for these pictures...

The last day of school before the Christmas break (Dec. 16, 2011) Lizzy's school had a party and I was right in the middle of it all.

It all started one day at the end of November when Mr. Fletcher, the principal, asked if I wouldn't mind helping out with the activities for that day. Because "I'm just a girl who can't say no." (Oklahoma - for those of you Musical buffs) I, of course, said, "Yes!" What I didn't know was that he was only going to ask one other person to help!! I was in for a doozy of a two weeks when we finally got things started.

Mr. Fletcher wanted the whole school to be involved - 650 students! The biggest project he had in store was to bring in a snow making machine and make a sledding hill for the kids. That is a BIG deal in Yuma because most of these students have heard about snow. They have seen pictures of snow. They have watched people having fun in snow in movies but they have never experienced snow for themselves!!

It was such a big deal that the local news station sent down a camera man. I talked him into sledding down the hill with his camera. He was shocked at how fast he went down that little hill. I guess he had never played in snow either.

Here is Lizzy enjoying the slopes. I even bought gloves and a scarf for this fun activity!
Here is Lizzy with two of her friends Migalley and Holland and her teacher, Mrs. Gordon, is sledding in the background
Lizzy going down again. She loved it! The faster the better! Notice Lizzy's crazy hair? Lizzy and Troy LOVE "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". They watch it all December long. I have to hide that DVD for the other 11 months of the year or else I would go insane. Lizzy wanted to be Cindy Lou Who for the day. Troy did his best to oblige her (I was too busy running around getting ready for the day.) He put a red bouncy ball under a layer of her hair and tried to make her look like Lizzy's favorite Grinch character.
The rest of the day was spent having fun at several different stations throughout the school. We had chosen to use the theme of "The Polar Express". So an extremely talented lady made some cute train tickets (sorry no pics) and at each station, their ticket was punch as if it was a train stop.

As you can see, the students were allowed to wear their pajamas if they so desired.
Now that it has been over for about three weeks, all that I can remember to say was that it was so fun! So much work went into the success of this day and yes, I did say that I would do this again next year. I like the thought of planning this way in advance with a year's worth of experience this time. Hopefully it can be bigger and better than before. The one part I vividly remember about this day was that when I was finally able to go home that evening, I changed into my pajamas and went to bed. I was EXHAUSTED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment