Thursday, August 20, 2009

Am I the Soccer Mom?

When we returned from our long trip to Utah we had many phone messages. One of them was from a desperate sounding guy looking for a parent willing to coach Lizzy's soccer team. I looked at Troy, he looked at me, we looked at Lizzy, Troy called the guy and told him he would do it. Troy has never coached a soccer team before, let alone 4-year-olds. He loves a challenge and he is very talented at figuring out how to do things that are hard.


Their first practice was last Monday (8-17-09). We put on Lizzy's soccer outfit (which she had been wearing for 3 days straight out of sheer excitement), loaded up the stroller with water bottles, soccer balls, portable goals, lots more water, a dejected Ben (he wants a soccer outfit too) and headed out the door. The practices are being held just around the corner from our home so we'll brave the 105 degrees for the next month or so and walk there.



Troy had fun, the kids had fun, Lizzy almost got heat exhaustion but everything was GREAT!! Ben just assumed he could play too so I guess if your dad is the coach you get special privileges, right?

When Troy introduced himself to everyone he turned to me and said, "And this is our soccer mom". Who me? But there I stood, soccer balls at my feet, homemade cupcakes in my hand, and two soccer players calling me "mom". I guess I am a soccer mom - it's just not a title I ever thought would be placed upon me. I'm grateful for the opportunity. :)

1 comment:

  1. 105 degree whether? Oh, come on. That's not fun, that's torture! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete