It has been a long time since I posted a letter so I thought I would write one tonight...
Dear Sarah,
I want you to know how much peace I feel in my heart compared to this time last year. You might remember, we used our last 4 embryos through in vitro fertilization, but none of them resulted in a pregnancy. It hurt. It hurt more than I had been prepared to feel. I thought I was stronger than that and besides I already had 2 children. How dare I feel sad when there are so many out there who don't have any children? I struggled with that. The Spirit helped me understand that it was okay for me to be sad and feel the intense pain I was feeling. My pain was real and deep and by telling myself that I didn't have the right to feel it, I would have been denying myself a tremendous growth opportunity. I grieved for longer than I thought I would. I gained weight, I cried, I was kind of a mess there for a while.
As I sit here tonight I realize what a different person I am now. The calm I feel inside myself is comforting and warms me. The Savior has been by my side, teaching me and helping me learn and see that He knows what is best. Someday I will know the answers to my questions. Until then, I will trust Him. He has taught me throughout my life that He knows what He is doing - who am I to question His plan? (That is how I feel at this moment - who knows how I'll feel a littlelater. :) )
So, I am okay. But Sarah, I have several friends who are experiencing so much heartache because of their inability to have children. Their situations are all so different. Some already have children but cannot have any more. Some have husbands who are not supporting them in their desire to pursue medical procedures. Some have been experiencing miscarriage after miscarriage. Some are trying to adopt but are seemingly blocked at every turn. Some simply don't know why babies aren't coming. They feel forgotten, lonely, angry, sad, unworthy, unfulfilled and confused. They don't share their feelings very freely and hope no one feels sorry for them but a part of them wants someone to feel concerned enough to talk to them but then they don't want to talk because then they will start crying and they're afraid they won't be able to stop crying. They feel as if they are the only person they know who is enduring this problem at this time. They want to trust and they do trust the Lord - it can just be very hard sometimes when you have to wait for something that you never thought you would have to wait for and some people don't have to wait - even ones who don't want to have children seem to get them easier than others.
I know you understand these feelings too Sarah. I know you went through years and years of waiting during a time when a woman's worth was measured by her ability to have children - lots of children. I can't imagine how you must have felt when you knew it was too late for you to be able to bear a child. Sarah, because you continued to trust the Lord, I will also continue to trust Him. He showed forth His miracle through you and we can all call you "grandmother" because of the one child He gave to you. Thank you, thank you Sarah. You give us hope and a perspective that eternity is not this earth-life... it is so much, much more. What I want these women to know and feel is that they are not alone - they are never alone.
Love,
Lisa
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI do not know why I was very inspired to read your blog tonight. It is late and I am so tired. I know that the spirit prompted me to read it. My heart goes out to all who has experienced this pain. It is hard but you are right it is a pain that we must all work through. I was only able to have three children and so deperately wanted more. God's plan was so different and even though I spent many years feeling bad about it and even now at times it still tugs at my heart strings. I can know see God's plan for me. He needed to be able to take care of his other children. Today I was able to see one of my former students that I worked with alot last year and it was a joyous reunion. I forget that God has the plan for us...and at times it does not make sense. Thank you for your entry. I really needed to be reminded about trusting in the Lord even though it is painful. I so appreciate your heart felt letter. I know it must have not been easy to experience or write but you did and I am grateful. My spirit and heart needed to hear that part of trusting in the Lord and it will all work out. I tend to forget that. I appreciate you. You are amazing.
Thank you so much for your comments. Because, like Sarah, you to trust in the Lord I can. I look to Sarah as a mentor and a great exmaple, but I look to you as well and thank you for the heartfelt words of wisdom and comfort you have provided me. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for what I have and trust in the Lord that all will be well because it will be. I will be.
ReplyDeleteActually, Linda, this letter was only hard to write because I want to say the right words and I want those who need it to be able to read it but I'm not sure how to let it all be known. Do I get on facebook and write, "anyone dealing with infertility go to my blog?" That won't do, so I'll just pray the Lord will use this as He sees fit. I am truly, honestly feeling so much peace in this area of my life. I am tremendously grateful to understand these feelings and I meant it when I said that I have several friends dealing with this. My letter was inspired by the pain I know they are enduring at this time. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I'm sure they will help those you don't even know.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I've ever shared my story with you or not about our trying to have kids. We went 8 1/2 LONG years between pregnancies. During which we adopted our Thomas, who is such a blessing which I never would have received had we been able to conceive on our time table. I just recently went through another annoying surgery to try and have "just one more". I know, I know, four is a lot of children in the mind set of an infertility patient, but one more needs to come. So, me and Faith try to be very close friends and Patience needs to be a better friend. (I ain't gettin' any older, as you know!) Thanks for your beautiful words! I sure know I'm not alone!
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for putting this in words and knowing it will help other people that are going through this in life. I took this class this summer called the San Joaquin Writing project and it was an amazing experience. The hardest thing was writing about ourselves and then having to share it with others. Like you said it was coming up with the right words to express your feelings. It is hard at least it was for me with my class. I have come away with a sense of empathy for any of my students who have writers block or have a hard time writing for various reasons. I am so glad that you have peace with this. That is a good feeling peace. I know that you have a strong testimony and have a big trust in the Lord. Thank you again for you words and example. I know it helps many around you.
Heather, I didn't know you went 8 1/2 years between pregnancies. My 8 1/2 years was before the kids finally came. I don't think I will try waiting another 8 1/2 years for another one. I need to move on. If the Lord wants to send more I would love it but as you said, I'm not getting any younger!! :) No matter how long the wait for anyone, it is still a very trying time and you said it perfectly - faith and patience need to be very good friends during that time. Thanks!! :)
ReplyDeleteOh and Heather, I'm sorry your surgery didn't work out. I'm sure your heart aches. I pray the Lord will bring you peace and comfort. If there is "just one more" He will make it happen. I know you know that.
ReplyDeleteI love that you wrote out that you weren't sure you had a right to feel the pain, and the Spirit let you know that it was okay to have those feelings. I'm also glad that you have been strengthened and lifted. Thanks for taking that strength and using it to lift others, by sharing all this. As usual, you have a beautiful way with your words....
ReplyDeleteThat was an absolutely amazing letter. I never struggled with having children and have at times wondered if I would ever have more due to how difficult kids can be but reading your feelings has reminded me of the special privilege it is to bear children and be a mom. I'm so sorry that you struggled so much with conceiving but I'm glad to see that you have two. They are darling little kids. Thank you so much for your example of righteousness and faith, you have always been an example of that to me. I will always have a special place in my heart for you and Troy, you helped me through my younger years so now I am strong in the church and have a very strong testimony of the gospel.
ReplyDelete