Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cockroaches, Tears, Prayers, More Tears, Smiles and Sleep


I just can't let this experience go unrecorded...

Yesterday at the library we checked out a dvd about bugs. Lizzy watched it at least 3 times during the day. She loved learning about different bugs - I think she likes being grossed out! Everything was fine until it was time to go to bed. She was too afraid to go into her bedroom by herself, no matter how I coaxed, encouraged or pushed. Finally I was able to get out of her that she was afraid there were cockroaches hiding in her room and will crawl all over her in the night. She was in tears and was sincerely afraid.

I held her in my arms and tried to tell her that we don't have any cockroaches in our home but she was not convinced. She said, "Mommy that movie really scared me. We shouldn't watch such scary things." It was time for prayers so we knelt down beside her bed and this is what she said,
"Dear Heavenly Father..." silence, silence, little sobs started shaking her body..."Heavenly Father, I'm really scared..." silence, more little sobs..."please help me find a smile again..." silence, more little sobs, silence..."please help me not be scared anymore."

So, while she was saying this sweet prayer that was straight from her heart to a man she has complete faith in, I am saying my own silent prayer, "Please Heavenly Father, help this sweet girl feel peace. Help me know what I can do to comfort her tonight." When she was finished praying I told her to pick out a book that would help her "find a smile again." She chose a book entitled "I Am A Child of God".

As we read the story she seemed to brighten up a bit until we turned to the final page. I was not prepared for the emotion that she and I would feel together simultaneously. The picture is of a little girl running to jump into the arms of a loving Heavenly Father who is just as excited to see her as she is to see Him. Tears immediately came to my eyes but I was a little surprised to find that tears had come to Lizzy's eyes as well. I asked her why she was crying. She said, "I love Heavenly Father so much! I miss Him. When will I get to see Him again?" I had felt the exact same feelings when I looked at that simple picture. A feeling of overwhelming love from our Father in Heaven filled my heart as well as Lizzy's. It was unmistakable.



We talked for a little while longer about how we can get home to Heavenly Father and how we will help each other. When Troy came home she even asked him for a blessing. It was a sweet blessing. She cried and smiled and eventually fell asleep in my arms.



What is that scripture about becoming as little children?

7 comments:

  1. My design in recording this is because my blog is our family journal. My children are normal, crying, whining, arguing children. I no way want anyone to feel discouraged if these experiences aren't happening often in their home. I'm recording this because it is not a usual experience and I don't want to forget it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Jesus called a little child to Him,
    set him in the midst of them, and said,
    "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
    Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.

    That's from Mark chapter 18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an incredibly sweet experience! How little children teach us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This touched my spirit thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to have such a beautiful family. Lisa, you are one amazing mother. How much you inspire our children and teach them the core things that they will need to survive in our world - faith in our Heavenly Father, a longing to be with Him, the Power of the priesthood, the love and protection of the spirit.

    I am so honored, and honestly, humbled by you and your great spirit. Thank you for all you do to take care of our family. I am so appreciative!
    I love you,
    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me cry too. I love the LOVE family and Heavenly Father. Lizzy is a special little spirit with special Parents.

    ReplyDelete