Thursday, January 28, 2010

For Today And For Tomorrow

Both of my parents and all of my grandparents have passed away. My father died when I was 5 and my mom died 10 years ago, Feb. 13, 2000, to be exact. My children were not born until long after my parents died. Having children makes one ask questions and there are so many things I would love to ask my mom concerning my childhood, how in the world she survived being a single mother, recipes etc. My mom didn't leave very many written documents behind. Her journal was kept sporadically at best. Who can blame her? She raised three children completely on her own. Finding time to write in a journal probably wasn't what she worried about most.

This has led me to two similar thoughts...

1. What if I'm not around to answer Lizzy's questions when she has children? I'm not trying to be pessimistic. It is my reality. What if I'm not around to show up at her door on a day she is really needing some help with the kids or when she's really sick or when she just needs a shoulder to cry on? What if Ben's son is as crazy as he is and he needs some encouragement? If I'm not around, who is going to sympathize with him, lovingly tell him he earned that son and then ensure him that all will eventually be okay? :) (although I have been just fine without my parents, I have yearned for these same experiences.)

2. Keeping a blog is fun. It is fun to see comments left by others, but honestly, I'm keeping this blog for my children. I have been inspired by the example of others to print my blog and make it into a book. In my mind's eye I can see a grown up Lizzy and a grown up Ben flipping through the pages of the book, remembering, feeling, learning. I picture my grandchildren discovering, laughing, growing. I LOVE family history. If I had a book which contained information such as can be found on this blog for each of my ancestors, I would consider myself incredibly blessed.

Knowing that many more people read my blog than make comments (you know who you are...) I want some suggestions of what you wish you could ask your ancestors and those of you whose parents have passed away, what would you like to ask your parents? If you don't want to leave a comment, feel free to email me personally. lisalove1996@hotmail.com or write me on facebook.

This is our time in history. This is our turn on Earth. As I have studied my ancestors, their influence continues to make a great difference in my life. But that can only be said of those who left information for me to study. We each have a story to tell, something that we feel passionately about, some lessons we've learned the hard way that we hope those who come after us don't have to learn as well. Whether we believe it about ourselves or not, every single one of us has something to teach and share.

More than anything, I want my posterity to know I love them, even now as they are waiting to begin their turn. They are present in my heart and already a part of who I am. I hope and I have a feeling that will give them courage someday - the thought of them gives me courage today.

5 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful. I love the pictures and the little conversations with your children.

    You are not alone is wishing you had more time to ask questions about your childhood and write down recipes. I am fortunate enough to still have my parents, but I never asked enough questions of my grandparents when I could.

    Making a printed copy of your blog and journal is a brillant idea. My mom's journal has been lost a couple times because of the computer crashing. All those memories and teaching moments perhaps lost forever.

    As far as your what if's, write what they should do and know in your journal or blog. Know that although they will want their mother for those certain situations, that the Lord will take care of them through other relatives, friends and church leaders. Heavenly Father has never left us helpless, all we have to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I stress with my own children is that you are never alone, even though your family might not be with you. Heavenly Father has a plan for everyone and that includes putting people in your life who can help you, love you, support you, and guide you. I have seen this time and again in my life. A sister in church who spoke the words my Mom would have if she had been there. An elderly neighbor to play grandma to my kids--that is always a win-win situation. And so many sisters to laugh with and learn with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. so my sister has been trying to get me to start a blog for years. I'm just not into computers. Nothing has been able to inspire me until I read yours today. I lost my mother when I was 4 days old and I have absolutely no written word from her. I wish I new some of her thoughts. I wish I knew if she would have been fat past her 20's. She was 27 when she died. I wish I could hear her sense of humor. There are so many things I wish. My friend brought me a letter to school one day. She said my mom wrote it to her mom when they were young mothers and she had recently come across it and thought I would like to have it. She has no idea how much that letter means to me. One page of writing and I heard her mothering, her sense of humor, her hand writing, her friendship. I always tell people regarding journaling, not to worry about the years you didn't write because your posterity will appreciate even a few pages. I will definitely visit your blog more often. Thanks for the inspiration. I am not surprised being it all came from a red head. P.S. My mother was a red head to so I can only assume she was remarkable.......and as humble as I am. I love you. Julie Mooney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your sweet comments and advice. Thanks also to those of you have emailed me personally. I want to address the questions I would like to ask my mother at this time so they can be recorded for my children. Thank you for your input.

    Julie, I can only imagine how important that one page of writing is to you. I have nothing from my father and would give anything to know a little more about his personality too. Someday huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I always think about you, Adam and Wendy without your mom, and never knowing your dad. Within the past few years I have had several dreams with your mom, your kids and Braiden. She has told me she knows them. They seem to be familiar with each other in these dreams. I do not know why I--her neice--have these dreams.
    Also within the past few years I have often had dreams with you and your kids in them. You live in a different house every time. (When we were very small children you really DID live in a different house every time my family went to visit yours!) The insides of these dream-state houses are curious: some houses have one level, another house will have several levels, rooms will have many doors going into different rooms, the hallways will be really long or lopsided, there are secret passages, even a fancy laundry chute. Your kids are always older in my dreams.
    I had my dad for 30 years. I had numerous dreams starring him the first year of his death. These dreams are now very far and few between. Strangely enough I often have dreams that take place in his house. There is always something different about his house, buit it is still his house.
    I am extremely thankful I still have my mom. She is a very big help to me, as well as Mayloni and the 3 grandkids.
    I miss Grandma very much. I cannot remember having any dreams with her in them. All the time I come up with questions I never thought to ask her and daddy while they were alive. I want to ask daddy's opinions about what is going on in our country and world. Being an old military man I thought his opnions had value and substance.

    ReplyDelete