Maybe some kids can handle it but my daughter absorbs it all and becomes what she watches and so I just couldn't let that happen. I told her back then that when she was 5 we would talk about it again. She remembered. She wanted a Hannah Montana birthday party.
So, after she went to bed one night I got on the internet and watched some Hannah Montana episodes. Honestly, they are pretty innocent. Their clothes are questionable at times, the way Hannah talks to her father is questionable at times and I don't think Lizzy needs to hear all the talk about boyfriends and girlfriends.
Lizzy and I came to a compromise. She had a rock star party - not much different, I know, but somehow it felt better to me. A mom can only go with her gut sometimes.
Lizzy invited all of her girlfriends (and her two boy cousins) to a dance party. We made the front room as dark as possible, set up the projector and let the girls sing and dance to fun music videos and yes, I did let them dance to a couple Hannah Montana songs. Troy was our cool DJ and Ben his young assistant.
We had blow-up microphones and sunglasses for our little rock stars. They each took turns leading everyone in their own dance moves but mostly they just danced and danced and danced.
I made a hot pink electric guitar cake - which Lizzy loved.
After all was said and done it w
Oh Lisa, Lizzy is so beautiful and what a good mom you are. Looks like the perfect party to me. Glad to hear someone else doesn't have tv. Really we read and play games more. I only miss it for General Conference (which we can now get on the internet) and the Olympics. Thanks for sharing your great ideas and wondeful family. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like it was definitely a "rockin' party" :) I don't blame you on being questionable about Miley Cyrus. My mom used to let my sister watch Hannah Montana until all that stuff came out about Miley Cyrus. Really not the best. Good for you to stick to what you believe is right! :) What a fun party :)
ReplyDeleteYou are such an awesome mom, Lizzy is so lucky to have a fun mom that has her head on straight! You're so creative, that looks like a blast!
ReplyDeleteThat cake looks amazing. What talent you have! I don't think any little girl could ask for a better party:)
ReplyDelete