Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Trust Your Mommy Gut


I write soooo many posts having to do with Lizzy. She gives me soooo many things to write about. That's not to say that Ben, my second child isn't as entertaining. Quite the contrary - he is quite the little entertainer. Most of the experiences I write about Lizzy have to do with something she has said. Ben, well, Ben hasn't said much yet to write about.

He just turned 3-years-old. His speech has been slower than Lizzy's was. She honestly knew her alphabet when she was about 18-months-old and was telling me stories at age 2! The girl doesn't stop talking!! Believe me, if I wrote down everything interesting or profound that came out of her mouth, well, it's just impossible.

Ben, on the other hand, has some words he says clearly but for the most part, his speech is very garbled. I have been concerned but everyone tells me to not compare the two children, boys are slower etc. etc. etc. I even had him evaluated by an organization here in town that does preschool speech therapy about a year ago who proclaimed he is super smart just taking his own sweet time talking. I asked our doctor to check out his ears but he didn't find anything. Essentially, I gathered from everyone that I needed to turn down my "mommy worry" meter and let the kid develop on his own.

Our doctor is smart but he spent MAYBE 5 minutes with Ben and I never felt he examined Ben thoroughly enough. Now that we are paying cash for dr.'s appointments, I decided to make a switch to someone I liked going to see. I asked our new doctor to please check Ben's ears very thoroughly. What he saw was a bunch of gunk that he figures has been there for a long time, maybe even years. He figures Ben has had allergies and clogged up ear canals for a couple of years now. After checking Ben out he decided that Ben probably hears things as if he is under water! He also let me know that Ben's throat has probably been hurting for years and he has probably had a headache just as long. Ben just hasn't known any different. Maybe he's been trying to let me know but I can't understand him to know what was wrong. For the most part he is a cheerful guy. I just never knew he was feeling so yucky.

Oh my poor baby boy!! We have started a bunch of medications to clear up the gunk and hopefully prevent it from returning. I have already noticed a difference. His nose isn't constantly running which the previous doctor just told me was normal. He is sleeping better and he doesn't seem to have his grouchy moments as often. And yes, I have already noticed a difference in the number of words he says more clearly. I am going to have him evaluated by a speech therapist again so we can get his speech taken care of! He really does try so hard to explain things to me but often he just gets frustrated that I don't understand.

Oh my poor baby boy!! I'm so sorry son. If your mommy isn't trusting her gut and sticking up for you, no one will. We'll get this taken care of Ben Boy. Then you can talk my ears off like your sister does and keep me from developing Alzheimer's before my time because my brain will have to keep up with yours. I love you son!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm so glad you did trust your instincts and switch to another docotor! I hope things continue to improve for Ben :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, poor Ben!! Don't beat yourself up, Lisa. You did your best, and it's not a bad thing that you trusted your doctor!

    If you don't mind me asking, who was the doctor? I finally chose a doctor and am just wondering if I made a good choice. We have our first appointment this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the names of the doctors you used please...the first one and the second one. I've been asking about doctors around town and people really don't have much reason to back one over the other except for convenience in getting in and the cleanliness/modernization of the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hillary and Sarah, I am more than willing to chat personally with you about my doctors. I hesitate to name any names in a public forum such as this because - as with most anything - my experience with my previous doctor may an exception to the rule as may also be the case with my current doctor. I would hate to tarnish someone's reputation because of my one experience. My previous doctor is considered one of the best in Yuma - but I was looking for someone who was more personable. Others have no problem with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little River had so many problems just like benn...We did everything we knew...especially dr after dr. We had him tested 4 times...each time he was diagnosed with dyslexia (processing) disorder from the ear to the brain. Which for me was a devasating blow...we have wall to wall book shelves in my home...we read to him in the womb...and I am a print journalist (almost) major.
    I think it took me a year of heartbreaks to accept what was. We were living in Hawaii at the time and because he couldn't read, and he was "haule" he was the target of bullly's...the worst were his teachers! We finally found several specialists that blessed our lives so much, and after years...(literally), we found River slowly learning how to cope and compensate . River didn't read until fourth grade...and that was just small books.
    He is now 13...straight A, a math genius and the kindest, sweetest young man, I am so inspired by his journey every day.

    I know it's an entirely different experience that what your going through, but as mothers, I think the most painful thing is when you love your child fiercly...and others don't understand them. Or when you cry out for help and even the smartest dr.'s seem baffled or even
    condensending.
    Oh sorrry ...touched a heartstring!
    I wrote about river on my blog last January, it is called "River meets alexzander grahm belll...(spelling way off today!
    any way from one mother to the next...I cheer you for standing up for Benne and protecting him!!!

    ReplyDelete