So, we moved to Pittsburgh, PA. What a wonderful place to live! So many exciting things to see and do. A history lovers dream come true. So much cultural diversity with great restaurants, museums, symphonies, Broadway musicals, beautiful, beautiful lush green forests and WATER. In fact I think Pittsburgh rivals Seattle for amount of rain each year. Of course there was some adjustment but I was just starting to thoroughly love where we were living when all of a sudden we moved here...
Troy found a good job in Arizona - Arizona?!! And not only Arizona, but YUMA, AZ! Obviously the Lord wanted to see how obedient I could be. :) So this is where I am and this is where we have been for 10 years now - 11 summers. Today's temperature is going to reach about 105*, which honestly isn't that bad. It's the 113* on Friday I am not looking forward to. (Did you just notice that I, Lisa Love, wrote that 105* isn't that bad? Shocks me too.)Sometimes, when I have grown weary of the 100's day after day, night after night, I sit in my air conditioned house, close my eyes and I can almost completely transport myself to this wonderful place...
Or sometimes I can imagine myself in this place...
Or sometimes I can even imagine myself in this place...
I don't know that I would ever be able to choose between the mountains or the ocean. I love them both so much. My spirit just soaks in the life and beauty of these places. I feel that I am "home".But I do not live near enough to the ocean or the mountains. I live in the desert and during the months of June - October I hibernate in my house because I swear the sun and heat make me depressed! Once Troy opened his own private counseling/consulting business, I knew getting out of the desert was going to take even longer than I had anticipated - in fact, I'm starting to sense that we may never leave. (did I just write "never"?)
So, it is about time that I quit whining and complaining and start to notice what the desert has done for me and how the Lord has showered me with tender mercies while we've been here. He may ask us to do some difficult things at times, but I do believe that He tries to make it as comfortable as possible.
1. We were able to find the right doctors to help us with in vitro so our sweet Lizzy could come to our home.
2. Ben was born - no in vitro necessary. He just came out of nowhere (and still is! He is a wonderful surprise every day.)
3. We are only 4 hours from Disneyland.
4. After putting Troy through school I was able to finish my own degree and am planning on starting a master's program soon.
5. The Lord helped us find a house within our price range that has a pool!
6. There is a tree in my front yard that actually has leaves that turn a golden color around Christmas time fulfilling some of my need for Autumn leaves.
7. We are only 2 1/2 hours from the beach.
8. Yuma has some of the greatest people on the planet. Schools aren't the best but I can supplement school for my children whereas I can't supplement good friends.
9. Winters here are glorious!
10. I have learned that I can survive in the desert and I have actually learned to see the beauty that is here - Arizona has the most beautiful sunsets!
I actually had to stop myself at 10 - maybe I'll continue this post another day.
Moral of the story...never say never.

Lisa, I think you found our truck in the Az desert picture. It's under a tree someplace :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad you find beauty and good out of everything and every place you have been (even Yuma).....because you are wonderful!
This is a great post. I know there are so many things not to love about the desert. I have been here longer than you have, but there are still things I don't love.
ReplyDeleteRecently, I have been trying to tell someone near and dear to me that there are so many things to be grateful for here. I love your list, and I am going to make one of my own.
I am finally catching up on my blog reading (insert sheepish grin). Thanks for the list of good things about the desert- I too told Kevin I would never live in Arizona (in fact, we had even started applying for grad school at ASU, decided that we could never live here, and didn't finish the application). Let me add unexpected family to your list. I have enjoyed getting to know you and your family (and Wendy's too). Now off to get one of those popsicles ... :)
ReplyDelete