Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Where Have All The Bachelors Gone?

Troy and I (Troy especially) love to have big gatherings with lots of people and good food. When we left the comforts of family and friends to move to Yuma, AZ we knew we would be missing out on the traditional get-togethers. With just the two kiddos, this doesn't make for large gatherings. So, we have taken the initiative to create our own "family" gatherings and establish new traditions.

Troy specifically loves to have people over for Sunday dinner. About March 2009, two friends Troy made while working in some community plays, began joining us for dinner each Sunday. It didn't start out with the intention of being an every week activity, but much to our enjoyment, Nate and Rob have continued coming back almost every week for Sunday dinner and to be used as jungle gyms by the two love monkeys (Lizzy and Ben).Uncle Nate and Uncle Rob have filled our home with music (Nate is quite musical) and laughter (Rob introduced me to "The Three Amigos" for the first time ever), board games and just good company. At least that is how we felt. They may have just liked the free food, but we liked them. In fact, if anyone ever heard about these two guys coming over every Sunday they would say, "Oh that is so kind of you." But really, we needed Nate and Rob much more than they needed us.

I am using the past tense because our time with the bachelor brothers has come to a close. Rob finally convinced this amazingly beautiful and talented woman to marry him! (just teasing Rob!) Katie lives up in Utah so Rob is moving up there to be closer so that no other guy steals her away before the big day arrives. (Why didn't Katie move down here? Go figure. Maybe because it has been 120,000 degrees the past few days? I'm not exaggerating.)We are so excited for Rob and Katie. They will make a wonderful couple. For Rob's surprise birthday cake, I couldn't resist the urge to make them a little wedding cake. (We didn't know that they would show up having actually become engaged the day before! Woman's intuition?)Nate is headed off to Flagstaff to begin a Master's program at Northern Arizona University. Something music oriented - but I'm not exactly positive what the degree is. Nate will wow them with his talents and maybe move back to Yuma to turn Yuma's music world upside down.We will miss seeing Uncle Nate and Uncle Rob each week but we are so excited for the new adventures facing them. Yay for progress!!! I also love knowing that we have all eternity to continue friendships. I wonder what Sunday dinners are like in the next life? ;) (fat free food - OF COURSE!!)

(We now have an opening for Sunday dinners. Anyone interested?)

7 comments:

  1. I love it when new people come into our lives and we get to watch neat things happen to them! Sounds like a good friendship was started and will continue!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had lots of fun! I love that you made a little wedding cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested. You can either take us all on, or I would be more than willing to leave them behind and pretend to be single each Sunday evening. I don't play the piano, and I'm not very funny, but I do a mean polka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all invited!! I'm serious. I'll be calling you soon. Sabra we like to have talent shows on Sunday night so brush up that polka!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it won't be fat-free food. Fat is what gives the best flavors!

    Nate is wonderful. He is going to such a great job at NAU. And hooray for Rob. She looks like a nice gal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh pick me. I won't be all that entertaining but I love to talk about deep spiritual things and maybe some things that you don't wanna post. i can only come over like every other Sun or once a month though cuz my mom will be jealous. :D

    love u guys and I miss you Sis. Love I mean seeing you everyday for Seminary or church you are still way above my spiritual level but thats what makes me love talking to you soo much I don't feel so shy anymore cuz i've grown up a little i guess. :P

    ReplyDelete