I had the fun opportunity to help with school pictures today at Lizzy's school (by the way, completely off topic...Lizzy insists on being Elizabeth at school. So formal)
Anyway, some of the girls were all gussied up, naturally, for their pictures. I was helping a first grade class get their pictures taken and commenting on how beautiful all the girls looked. As each girl came up in line I would make sure their hair was looking just right, their necklace was straight and just trying to help them feel really good about themselves before their picture was taken. (I remember being an awkward red headed girl and could have used some beautiful comments at that same age.)
One little girl had gorgeous long, black hair that her mother and gathered over in a side ponytail and then made all the hair into beautiful ringlets. She was adorable. She told me her mom wanted her hair to be lying over her shoulder during the picture which had a beautiful affect. I, of course, gushed over her.
The next little girl in line wasn't all decked out, she had a plain blue shirt on and levi pants. Her hair was a little messy but it had been pulled back in a ponytail behind her head. She had a sweet face, but no smile whatsoever. My heart instantly loved this little girl and I fussed over her as best I could. It wasn't easy to get her to smile, in fact she almost wouldn't. I smoothed her bangs a bit and then just as a thought pulled hair around so that the ends of her back ponytail were resting on her shoulder like the girl before her. I squatted down to her level, looked her right in her eyes and told her how beautiful she looked. A look of "really?" crossed over her face and a slight smile touched her lips.
I had to look away because tears had come to my eyes. This sweet little girl is a daughter of our Father in Heaven and she is incredibly beautiful to Him. I watched as she had her picture taken. Just before the photographer snapped the picture, she pulled her hair over so it rested on her shoulder and she smiled - a beautiful smile.
I honestly have no idea what this little girl's story is, maybe she just wasn't feeling well this morning or maybe her family all woke up late and it was a miracle they all got out the door in the first place or maybe her very busy, overworked mother completely forgot it was picture day or maybe she is like Lizzy and screams when her hair is brushed so her mom has given up...who knows? All I know is that I felt love for her from our Father in Heaven. It filled my heart and I hope it filled hers too. Sometimes we all need a little reminder of who we really are...actually we need that more than sometimes.
So, let's remind each other more often. :)
How cute that Lizzy wants to go by Elizabeth.
ReplyDeleteWhen Ally was in kindergarten, she was still going by Allysha....and back then, she also wanted to change her name to Ariel.
This post brought tears to my eyes too. What a very sweet story. I am glad you were there to share a little help and love.