Monday, December 20, 2010

The Tree Which God Gave To Me

So remember when I felt like I needed to work on being more grateful? And then remember how the Lord opened my eyes to everything that I have and am blessed with on a daily basis? Well, then, during one of our institute lessons we read the verse, "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." (D&C 59:21) I challenged the class, and myself, to recognize the Lord's hand more that week, even in the little things, even in the things that we don't always think of as blessings.
So I went home from class with a determination to do this and as I was pulling into my drive way I noticed that the leaves on the Ash tree in my front yard had already begun to change colors and I hadn't really noticed it yet. I LOVE Autumn. Of all the seasons, I miss Autumn the most (because Yuma just has the hot and hotter seasons) Most leaves in Yuma do not change colors but I get to have a leaf-color-changing tree. Read on about why this is way cool...
As I was growing up my mother taught me the Parable of the Autumn Leaves: As the seasons change and there is less warm sunlight because the days are shorter and the winds blow colder, the amount of chlorophyll produced in some leaves changes and what is left behind is actually the TRUE color of the leaves. The brilliant reds, yellows and oranges are actually the TRUE color of the leaf. I'll let you put your own meaning to that - there are several everyday applications in this powerful lesson from Mother Nature.

So, I LOVE autumn leaves and when we moved into this house in July of 2007, I had no idea there was an autumn leaf tree in my front yard. But Someone Else knew, Someone who knows me very well and loves to shower His children with surprise blessings. Only He could have arranged for us to buy a house with an autumn leaf tree in Yuma, AZ.
So, back to that day after institute...I pulled into my driveway and there was my tree and that scripture popped into my head and I knew, I KNEW, God had planned it all and had put that tree there for me so He could tell me He loves me. I just hadn't noticed it yet this year but He had been saying it all along.
I've tried to be so much more grateful for my tree this year. I must report that I don't remember a year when this tree has been sooooo beautiful. Even others have noticed and pointed out its beauty. Amidst all of the green leaves on all of the other trees in the neighborhood, my tree has been breathtaking.
Still with some green leaves.
Look at my front lawn covered with leaves. This isn't Yuma!
The whole front lawn is covered! I think it is time for some serious raking!!
Lizzy jumping into one of the piles of leaves.
Ben running straight through the pile of leaves.
Lizzy even tried to make a "leaf angel"
We have had more fun this year with our tree than ever before. We have raked up several piles and yet the tree still has plenty of leaves left to fall. On Saturday as we were playing in the leaves, so many leaves were falling around us it was like snow.
Thank You Heavenly Father for my tree. When that tree was first planted, probably 15 years ago, You knew, didn't you? You knew that someday I would live here in this house and that I would love that tree. It is my reminder that You know me and love me and want me to have happiness no matter what may be happening in my life. It is a reminder that I want to have brilliantly beautiful true colors when life's cold winds blow. It is a reminder that I need to look for Your Hand in every single part of my life. What a wonderful gift! Thank You!!

(Someone tell me why I can't separate the paragraphs in this post... )

No comments:

Post a Comment