As much as I had wanted to stop time for a few moments, Lizzy went to bed on January 19th as a 5-year-old and woke up on January 20th as a 6-year-old. Does she look different? She said she felt older and more grown up.
She woke up and walked out to the kitchen to find a NEW BIKE! She was so excited because she didn't know that we were planning on getting one for her. (I have never blogged that Lizzy taught herself how to ride without training wheels almost 3 years ago. Troy just gave her a push on the bike and she took off. Truly. This just seemed like a perfect place to slip that in.) Lizzy has been riding her old bike to school each morning since the Christmas break. It has a seat from one bike and the body of another and the breaks don't really work and it was just time to finally buy her a new bike. SHE LOVED IT!!
Lizzy had ordered a pancake sausage breakfast. She specifically requested a smiley face pancake. This was what Daddy came up with as he makes the best pancakes so I put him on breakfast duty. Yes, those pancakes are swimming in syrup. Yum!!
Off to school. I walk beside her while Ben rides about half way on his scooter and then both he and the scooter go in the stroller because his little legs are too tired to keep going. Lizzy rides so well and follows all of the safety rules we have taught her. The school has a special locked up area where the students can keep their bikes all day but we also gave Lizzy a bike lock so she could learn how to use combination locks.
Later that day, Ben and I went to have school lunch with Lizzy...pigs in a blanket...yum (not really). She usually takes her lunch but she wanted to eat school lunch as a special treat on her birthday.
Once daddy got home from work we just hung out as a family. She had requested that daddy grill some hamburgers for dinner and then we opened up a few little presents from Mom and Dad and Ben. Grandma Layton made a beautiful quilt for Lizzy (I'll add a picture later) and Aunt Brandee sent a pillow pet (pic later). After presents we had some ice cream. (no pics? Yes, no pics. We just relaxed. We knew more celebrations were on the way.)
It was a wonderful day. I have adopted the philosophy that a birthday is truly a day to celebrate because it is a recognition of your choice to follow our Father's plan, accept Jesus Christ and come to earth! Wowsers! We are told in the scriptures that when our Father's plan was presented to us we shouted for joy - why shouldn't we shout for joy now when there is evidence that the plan is in progress? It is a wonderful day and I'm all for making a big deal out of it. And which people am I most grateful for here on earth? My family ESPECIALLY those two sweet children who took their own sweet time getting here.
YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M GOING TO CELEBRATE THEIR BIRTHDAYS - AND IN A BIG WAY!! .
No comments:
Post a Comment