Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Her Third Six-Year-Old Day

Saturday, January 22nd dawned bright and early when Ben, an already early riser, woke up extra early - like 5:30 AM!!! He immediately searched the house for Grandma Love and was overjoyed to find Grandma and Lizzy sleeping on the floor because this meant - what else? - jumping on top of them!! I found the two kids snuggled up to Grandma while she read them books before we got started for the day.
After a breakfast of Dr. Seuss eggs (a post for another day), we got busy! "Why?" You ask. Well, a long time ago before I had children and I knew I was going to be the perfect parent (wink, wink, ha, ha!), I had decided we would do friend birthday parties every other year. Some wise mothers I know had this rule in their home and I wanted to be just like them so I made that rule as well. It is a great rule and I followed it for a couple of years but my sweet, loving, friendly, outgoing daughter LOVES parties. She wants one for every holiday. She comes up with her own games and decorations and pretty much plans the whole party. I almost always tell her "no" but for her birthday, I caved and said, "yes".

So we sat down one day to make out her guest list. I'm not exaggerating when I say that when I wrote down the 40th - Yes, you read 40th - name, I said, "Wait a sec, sweetie. We can't have this many kids here." Her reply? "But mom, these are all my friends and I love them and I want them to come have fun and besides, it is MY party."

Long story short, I negotiated, she negotiated, the list was cut down to 26! Two primary classes (she has good friends in her class and the class above her because her birthday is in Jan and so she is in between the two classes.) her cousins, of course, and a few friends from school.

The theme she chose was Strawberry Shortcake. We planned some fun games and activities to go with the theme. On Saturday morning, I put Grandma Love and Lizzy in charge of decorations. Grandma was so good to let Lizzy be in control of this and not try to take over.
(Yes, that is Lizzy wearing her Christmas shirt. She still loves it and insists on wearing it!)

I made her a Strawberry Shortcake themed birthday cake.
 We divided the party guests up into three groups and all groups rotated through three different stations - The Strawberry Patch, Strawberry Story Time and Fruit Basket Games. Troy was in charge of the Fruit Basket balloon games. (Fruit basket, like limes, lemons, blueberries etc. all round fruits that could easily be represented by balloons.) He came up with such fun games the kids were hysterical with laughter at times.

 For one of the games, each team chose a representative who put on some of Troy's pajamas and then each team had to stuff as many balloons as possible into the pajamas in a certain amount of time. Here are some of the winners.
 In the Strawberry Patch my dear friends Edna and Ikko helped the little gardeners decorate pots and then plant a strawberry plant to take home. I HOPE these plants grow and produce at least one strawberry per plant. That would just be so fun! THANKS Edna and Ikko! I owe you big time!
Grandma Love was in charge of the Strawberry Story Time. She is so great with kids and held their attention with her great story telling abilities and the fun Strawberry Shortcake card games she had them play together.

 We sang "Happy Birthday" and watched Lizzy blow the candles out on her cake. Then we got to the part that was stressing me out. I was just having a hard time with the thought of Lizzy opening up so many presents. I almost put on her invitations, "No presents please" but that's no fun. I know, I know. It is something I have to work on inside of myself so I won't say any more.

Look at all of those kids! All 26 guest showed up so we had a house full! They all ate cake and drank strawberry punch while Lizzy opened up her presents. Every gift was wonderful and we are so thankful for everyone's generosity.
The party was only an hour and a half and boy was I glad I hadn't made it two whole hours. The parents showed up just in time, everyone left happy with their potted strawberry plants and balloons and I let out a huge sigh of relief.  We made it! I couldn't have done it without so much help from the moms who stayed for the party, Troy, Grandma Love and anyone else who made this day possible - oh like Heavenly Father, yup! :)

The important part is that Lizzy had a wonderful time and strengthened her friendships and other good stuff. 

I think I have discussed on this blog that I'm learning to "Never Say Never", so I won't say that I won't be doing this next year. I have no idea what to expect. For now, we are done and happy and I LOVE my 6-year-old and I will love and adore her for another 300 and something days until I love my 7-year-old!


5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there for that precious little girl. Wish her a very special happy birthday from me. I love you Lizzy love Julie or Sister Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh....I didn't know you MADE that cake!!!!?!?!??!? Awesome and it was so good! I'm going to commission you to make a cake for me next time I need a cake......every Friday night when the kid have gone to bed.oh and some of troy's root beer! Yum! :). It was a great party and you guys are creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the cake!! Way cute!! Looks like it was a fun party :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brianna and Edna about the cake. It looks harder than it is and as I look at it now I can see so many things I could have done differently. But Lizzy liked it and it gets eaten anyway so it was good while it lasted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loVe all the celebration that went on for Lizzy's birthday!! I really think you need to throw out the every other year thing... a girl who loVes parties, MUST have a party! I love doing the parties (nothing extravagant and i sure don't know how to make cakes!) because the kids feel so special and loVed by everyone! Looks like ya'll had the perfect pary and that is was a blast! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete